Best Writing 2018
Are you an aspiring author? Do you want to be published? Have you written a paper for your coursework that you are especially proud of? If so, this is your invitation to share your best writing beyond the classroom with the entire Aggie community and the greater community of Qatar.
What is it?
The purpose of this annual project is to collect and publish submissions of the best writing of current and former Texas A&M University at Qatar students. Our aim is to demonstrate the variety of genres in which engineering students write and to showcase the talents of Aggie engineers who excel at thinking and writing critically as well as creatively. Previous editions, Why Write? and What Writing Can Do, were big hits (free printed copies are available in the blue area). We hope you will participate in the next edition!
Who is eligible?
Any current student or former student of Texas A&M at Qatar is eligible to participate in this project. You may submit up to three pieces of writing. If your work is selected, you will be asked to sign a consent form including a declaration that you have submitted original work and followed ethical research practices.
What can I enter?
Any piece of unpublished writing is eligible, including research papers, essays, narratives, short stories, and poems in Arabic or English. These pieces may have been written in response to assignments or for personal expression.
When is the deadline?
The deadline for submissions is 31 March of every year.
How do I format my paper? Each piece of writing must be submitted separately and formatted according to the following specifications:
- Papers must be submitted as Microsoft Word documents using the “blank document” template.
- If your paper uses outside sources, you must use an appropriate system of documentation.
- Make sure that all tables, graphs, figures, and images are labeled and documented.
- Please include a brief biography (50-100 words) about yourself at the end of your paper to be published if your paper is selected.
- Make sure your piece has a thoughtful title.
- The Best Writing Photo Contest is open to all Texas A&M University at Qatar students.
- Photographers are allowed to submit up to five entries.
- The photographer must be the copyright holder to submit pictures.
- Pictures can be submitted whether or not they have been published elsewhere.
- Pictures must meet the following specifications:
- Upload images with the original pixel size. Do not scale and do not change the resolution. Image should be approximately 2500 px (Width) x 1700 px (Height).
- Must be uploaded in .jpeg or .jpg format with high-quality compression. We will use winning images for high-quality reproduction.
- All pictures should have accurate captions. Location. Year image was taken.
- Only entries uploaded and submitted via the entry website will be accepted.
- Deadline to submit photos is Thursday, 1 March 2018.
- Copyright holders retain copyright of their work. For awarded pictures, copyright holders grant Texas A&M University at Qatar unlimited non-exclusive use of high-resolution photos.