Writing Consultations at the ASC are conducted by professional writing tutors and peer writing tutors. These tutors are trained to give constructive feedback with an emphasis on helping clients to develop their writing skills over time since writing is a skill needed across the curriculum of an engineering degree and is vital in the workplace of an engineer. Tutors help writers mainly through one-on-one interactions, but are also available to work with small groups, such as senior design teams and groups working on other collaborative writing projects. These interactions involve focused conversations about the writer’s goals for the product, but with attention given mainly to the writer’s process.
Students who visit the ASC for writing consultations can expect tutors to talk with them about:
- purpose of the assignment
- target audience
- main ideas
- use of visuals (images, charts, graphs, etc.)
- incorporating voice, tone and identity
Students can also expect feedback on:
- credible/critical use of outside sources
- citation formats
- effective sentences: grammar, punctuation and mechanics
- resources for help with proofreading/self-editing
When booking an appointment at the ASC for writing consultations, students should keep the following in mind:
- Writing assignments take TIME. The earlier in the process that you meet with a tutor the better. You can come in for an initial consultation as soon as you get an assignment!
- Writing assignments are about THOUGHTS. Tutors will engage you with feedback about your ideas first, grammar second.
- Writing assignments are opportunities for deep learning. Booking multiple appointments for one writing assignment is not only acceptable, but it’s encouraged.
Visit our FAQ page for answers to common questions about our services.